Monday, August 31, 2015

1 A Change in Learning

I believe that computers are an important part of the educational experience because we are in a society where technology is emerging in the classroom. My first year at Florida State it was difficult for me to complete my College Algebra assignments because they were online. In the past I used paper and pencil when I completed assignments, so the transfer from that to computers hindered me. As stated in the beginning of chapter one I did not have any technology literacy mainly because the school I went to could not afford computers for every student to work with on a daily basis. I do agree with the issues raised in these chapters because many teachers believe they could teach without the technology in the classroom, but it is important to understand how that will hinder them in the future.

In this classroom I will learn different about how to use different program on the computer as it relates to technology such as Microsoft word, Microsoft excel, Microsoft power point, paint, itunes, tango, etc. I hope to learn how to use these programs effectively. The background knowledge that I bring in goes into depth about the use but only with the main components of the programs. For example the first day of class I learned that Microsoft PowerPoint could save pictures as a jpeg.

As described in the podcast I do agree with the digital native term as it pertains to today's youth. Technology is an essential component of this generation because many of today's youth, like myself take it for granted and expect it to be there upon our discretion. When I want to access Instagram I can just pull out my phone and get onto Instagram instead of having to wait for long period of time trying to gain access to it. To be a digital native it means that you were born into a generation that technology was in prevalent use by everyone. The differences that I have seen between myself and most of my teachers who are digital immigrants are that they pay attention to the small things about technology, and they take more time when working with it. The impact that it has on my learning experiences is that I find out things about some technology that I looked past because I considered myself an experienced user. I do feel that there will be differences between how I use technology and how my students will use it in the future because the world of technology is always changing. For example Iphone and Samsung android are constantly releasing new and updated versions of their phones each year.

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful! In fact, I'm going to pull a quote to share with the class.

    Question: Are you "team apple" or android? Why?

    ReplyDelete